JOIN PROBUS TODAY!
AUS: 1300 630 488    NZ: 0800 1477 6287

The Probus Club of Port Victor Combined Inc was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Victor Harbor and was the first combined Probus Club in the area.

The Formation Meeting was held on 4th May 1994, followed by a request made to Probus Centre- South Pacific Inc for accreditation and the Certificate of Accreditation was received 22nd June 1994.  Incorporation was achieved in July 1994.

The first President was Ian Slater, the first Secretary was Mary Packenham.

Club monthly meetings were held in the Victor Harbor Senior Citizens Centre, Carrickalinga House, cnr Torrens Road & Hill Street, Victor Harbor.

First meetings were held in the room which is the current morning tearoom.

Subs were $10 and increased to $12 in 1995.

Membership commenced with 26 applicants and increased at a rapid rate and by November 1994 the ceiling of 80 members was reached, with future applications to go on a waiting list.  The meeting room became somewhat snug and in March 1995 the move was made to the larger room at Carrickalinga.

In 1995 the practice of having a male president alternating with a female president began.  President Zelma Barratt was elected as the club’s first female President.

In 1999, 16 members on the waiting list were invited to join immediately with membership to be set at 80 by natural attrition and a decision to have a waiting list or not was resolved when membership reduced to 80.  At the general meeting in June 2000 an open discussion held on increasing membership resulted in the membership ceiling increased to 110 and this still remains.