JOIN PROBUS TODAY!
AUS: 1300 630 488    NZ: 0800 1477 6287

History

In early 1993 the Rotary Club of Albany Creek decided that due to the large number of people on waiting lists to join local Probus Clubs that another club in the area was needed.

Ray Hodge from Albany Creek Rotary, Ron Day from Aspley Rotary and Vern Logan the President of the Carseldine Probus Club took on the job of forming a new club. They called a meeting at the Aspley Hornets Football Club to gauge interest. The meeting was attended by Mary Cavanagh, Colleen Mayhill and Lou and Joan Pedder who all expressed an interest in joining. An advertisement that was placed in the local paper advising residents of the start of the new club also generated a lot of interest. Nearby Probus Clubs were also contacted to ascertain if anyone on their waiting lists would be interested in joining the new club. Another meeting was held and it was decided that there were now enough prospective members to form a club.

On May 31, 1993 prospective members attended a Carseldine Probus Club meeting to learn how to run the club and what committee positions were required. This meeting made prospective members very keen to get their own club started. So the Combined Probus Club of Bridgeman Downs was chartered on June 28, 1993 and incorporated on November 29, 1995.

The first general meeting was held on June 28, 1993 at the Kedron Wavell Services Club where they were held until December 2005. Then between January 2006 and April 2012 meetings were held at the Aspley Hornets Football Club. After May 2012 meetings were held at the Tavernetta Function Centre, Carseldine but moved back to Aspley Hornets at the beginning 0f 2019.

It was resolved at the July 26, 1993 meeting that all members would become charter members. By 1995 there was a long waiting list to join the club so an increase in membership from 55 to 60 was approved. Then in October 1997 it was increased to 70 and in 2004 it was increased again to 80 ordinary members. In March 2020 the membership number was increased to 90 ordinary members. 

Many members have contributed to the club over the years by taking on committee positions. Mary Perry, Joe Heaton, Norm Clough, Bill Rahmann, Colleen Mayhill, Margaret Ward and Barry Nutter have been recognised for their efforts by being granted life membership.