AUS: 1300 630 488    NZ: 0800 1477 6287

Ellenbrook Combined Probus Club Inc

History Of The Ellenbrook Combined Probus Club Inc

The Ellenbrook Combined Probus Club had its first meeting on the 5th February 2007 with 30 people attending, 24 of whom became foundational members. The first Annual General meeting was conducted on 7th May 2007, this was followed by a Charter Dinner at Oasis Restaurant, Ellenbrook on 21st June 2007.

On the 23rd December 2009 the Ellenbrook Combined Probus Club became incorporated. We now have 56 members.

We are based in Ellenbrook, a suburb of Perth located 21 kilometres north east of Perth adjacent to the magnificent Swan Valley, producers of some of the world’s finest wines.

Our meetings consist of a short business meeting, followed by morning tea and a presentation by an invited speaker from a wide range of interests.

In addition to our monthly meetings we have outings, ranging from morning teas and lunches at one of the many cafes in the Swan Valley to bus trips to places of interest in Perth and its surrounds.

The Ellenbrook Combined Probus Club Inc is sponsored by the Rotary Club of the Swan Valley Inc.

History Of The Suburb Of Ellenbrook

Ellenbrook is named after Ellen Stirling the wife of Sir James Stirling – the first Governor of Western Australia.  Ellen Stirling arrived in the ship ‘Parmelia’ on 31 May 1829.

 Ellen was only 16years of age when she married Captain James Stirling who espied her as a

14 year old riding on the back of two donkeys at her parent’s home in Guildford in Surrey, England in 1821. Ellen (nee Mangles) married Captain James Stirling on her 16th Birthday - 4 September 1823 at Stoke Church in Guildford.

 Stirling on his exploratory expedition to the Swan River in 1827 in the HMS Success explored the Swan River and went up as far as the point where All Saints Church is now located.

He named the small brook, a tributary of the Swan River, Ellensbrook after his wife Ellen.

 The development of Ellenbrook as a planned community began in the 1980’s and was a partnership between the Department of Housing and Works and Morella Pty Ltd.

The development of the land took the form of planned villages. The first being Woodlake which was built on the site of a former sand quarry.  The lowest part became the now beautiful lake and the Woodlake Ampitheatre now fronts onto the lake. The highest part of the quarry became Woodlake Rise. Then came the second estate The Bridges built in Tuscan style and centred on Lake Fresca, then came Coolamon, Morgan Fields and Charlotte’s Vineyard. and Malvern Springs will be followed by Lexia.

Conservation of our Natural Features:

Over 300 hectares to the north of Ellenbrook were ceded for conservation prior to the commencement of the development, and are now protected under Perth’s metropolitan Bush Forever strategy.

Pre-existing woodlands and wetlands, including Conservation Category Wetlands, have been included into Public Open Space in the villages of Charlotte’s Vineyard, Malvern Springs and Woburn Park. Gnangara Pine Plantation facing Gnangara Road, includes walks and picnic facilities accessible from Drumpellier Road.

The lake at the Edgecombe Bros Estate, is home to one of the last remaining populations fo the critically endangered Western Swamp Tortoise.