AUS: 1300 630 488    NZ: 0800 1477 6287

Club History

The original name of the club was Mt Victoria Probus Club. At the time, Probus clubs required a Rotary Club sponsor and our club was sponsored by Mt Victoria Rotary Club. The inaugural meeting was held on 10th June 1987, with a founding membership of 20, in the premises in Mahora St. Kilbirnie. Well known and long-time Seatoun resident, Joe Arkley, was elected President, with John Morgan, secretary, Bill Brierley, treasurer and Ray Harris, auditor. John Gardiner was the programme arranger. Subsequent meetings were held in the Poneke Rugby Club Rooms.

In 1991 it was decided to introduce a ‘Ladies’ Day’ when wives were invited to one meeting per year. By 1993 membership had reached 51 and memorable visits were undertaken to more distant places such as Kapiti Island. In 1994 the meeting place was changed to Vision Studios in Stone St. with a further change in 1997 to the RSA hall in Ferry St, an old army building transported from Trentham Military Camp after WW2 and well past its use by date. By 2002 the club was thriving and Mystery trips out of Wellington for members and wives were a feature. To better reflect its location, in 2004 the club changed its name to Wellington Eastern Suburbs Probus Club. Club trips for members and wives, such as a weekend around the Marlborough vineyards were very popular. In 2007 the club made its final move to the Seatoun Bowling Club which was being upgraded by the RSA to form one social club in Seatoun, and a considerable improvement on the old RSA army building.

In 2008 the club was opened to women members with the proviso that wives were given priority and membership was capped at 80. Existing members Ray Harris and Deryk McNamara immediately nominated their wives and consequently the first 2 women in the club were Ann Harris and Jan McNamara. The club continues to thrive with the current membership of 70. We are regarded as a smaller club, but very friendly and welcoming to all who wish to join.